- A2Central.com - http://a2central.com -
Latest batch of Mimeo-1s to go on sale
Posted By Mike Maginnis On October 7, 2012 @ 7:32 pm In Hardware,Product News | Comments Disabled
The latest batch of Mike Willegal’s Mimeo-1 Apple-1 replica kits is scheduled  to go on sale shortly. Willegal has upped the revision number to 1.01 to go with some changes he made to the latest version:
What follows is summary of changes.
1) I changed the solder mask to matte. I’ve had a few people bugging me for years to do matte, and have finally been convinced to change. I did a matte run a few years ago on the Apple II rev 0, but thought the glossy look gave a superior “look”, though not quite as authentic. I have been doing glossy since then. Even a board made with matte solder mask will not exactly match with an original board, as PCB manufacturing technology has changed and is not possible to replicate exactly with modern processes. I suppose someone could attempt to replicate old manufacturing process, but keep in mind that many of the raw materials going into a PCB have changed since the 70′s, not just the solder mask. In any case, once you populate the board with components, the difference isn’t very noticeable. If I had to pick which bare board I was going to frame, I’d pick a glossy board, since it just looks a bit flashier. Be aware that he matte boards also look awesome, and will be a step closer to the original in appearance.
2) A few minor changes were made to the silk screen, to better replicate an original board. Some of these minor differences from the original were found by me and some reported by other people. Most of the differences I’ve known about, are so minor, that no one other than me, ever noticed them.
3) A few minor changes were made to the copper layer on the front. Same comments as with the silk screen layer.
4) The board grid coordinate numbering and lettering along the edges has been slightly reduced in weight, to better match to original.
5) Mounting holes were shifted ever so slightly to better match up with original Apple 1 mounting holes.
Visit Mike’s Mimeo-1 blog pages  for the latest information.
Article printed from A2Central.com: http://a2central.com
URL to article: http://a2central.com/4571/latest-batch-of-mimeo-1s-to-go-on-sale/
URLs in this post:
 scheduled: http://www.willegal.net/blog/?p=3357
 pages: http://www.willegal.net/appleii/apple1.htm
Copyright © 2008 A2Central.com. All rights reserved.