Mark Lemmert of 6502 Workshop recently blogged about the current development status of Nox Archaist, the upcoming 8-bit tile-based RPG, and what the game will be like when it launches later this year.
The post includes a discussion of the tone of the game, a preview of a few villains players can expect to encounter in the adventure and details on expected combat system mechanics. Some highlights:
- The game engine is approximately 75% complete
- Programming for the combat system is about 50% done
- Players will be able to:
- Place spell casters and archers behind fighters
- Select a specific mob target for each player attack
- Aim area of effect spells at large groups of mobs
- Collaborate between thief/assassin and fighter types for increased critical hit chances
- Nox Archaist will be a fairly dark game, featuring such foes as demon lords and death knights
- Characters will be able to choose separate armor to protect their head, torso, feet, and hands
- Dungeon graphics are being designed by Hollywood animation artists Bill Giggie and Robert Padovan
- Gameplay will be balanced between combat and non-combat activities
For a more in-depth preview of this game, read the entire blog post.