Jeff Fink has announced the upcoming release of version 7.5 of his excellent 8-bit role-playing game (which runs on the Apple //e, //c, and IIGS), Silvern Castle. Changes in the new version include:
- Changing class now keeps all spells; multi-class spell casting is now possible.
- Text mode 2D maze plotting is now done using machine language code, which is twice as fast as before. In addition, text mode outline boxes are shown.
- The Inn healing routine has been tweaked and is much faster than before.
- Post-combat loot item routine has been tweaked and is much faster than before.
- Combat order sorting is much faster.
- Fighters can now cast mage spells at level 25 (adjusted for intelligence).
- Read spells command now displays the level at which you can begin casting.
- Fixed a bug from version 7.4 that caused some high level spells to be cast by monsters on lower levels.
In all, this sounds like a great update to an already great game. If you haven’t tried Silvern Castle yet, give it a shot! We’ll be sure to put up the latest version as soon as it’s available.