Gerard Putter has released version 3.1 of Virtual ][, a great 8-bit Apple II emulator for Mac OS X. The new version includes several nice improvements; read on for details.Version 3.1 includes the following enhancements:
- Improved rendering of double high-resolution graphics; this improves the readability of DHR text.
- Improved accuracy of double low-resolution and double high-resolution colors.
- High resolution graphics efficiency improved by about 25%.
- Sound quality improved.
- Added a toolbar for easier access to commonly used functions.
- The Screen menu is now called View, and includes toolbar-related commands.
- The sound volume can be changed.
- Added a menu command and toolbar button to open a Finder window where your disk images are.
- An alias to a disk image can now be dropped onto Virtual ][ to mount it.
- The program can automatically adjust the Mac monitor resolution when going into full-screen mode.
- The Apple //e, not the ][+, is now the default machine when the program is first started.
- Saved state files now take on a custom icon representing the appearance of the screen when the state was saved.
- Fixed a few bugs.
The saved state file icons in particular are a neat feature, making it very easy to track down the saved state you want — especially if you keep your saved state files in a folder with the icon size set to be large.