Briel Computers is celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Replica 1 by releasing a limited edition (and new revision) of their insanely popular Apple 1 compatible computer. The first 50 boards make up the limited edition 10th Anniversary Replica 1; each will be serialized and sport a collectible red PCB. After those are sold out, the new 10th Anniversay Edition Replica 1 PCB will revert to its usual green color.
As always, if you’re comfortable with a soldering iron you’ll have the option to purchase the new Replica 1 as a build-it-yourself kit ($149 USD) or for the non-techie and/or time-constrained, as a fully assembled and tested product ($199 USD). The limited edition 10th Anniversary Replica 1 will be available for pre-order on November 28th, 2013 — Thanksgiving Day in the USA.
The new board has the following changes:
- Smaller size (only 7? X 4.5?)
- Reduced chip count, only 8 chips plus USB-Serial adapter
- Single universal power adapter mini-USB connector for serial interface and power
- Can be powered from a PC or Mac USB interface
- Universal drivers for serial connection for data transfer now at 9600 BAUD
- Dual boot mode, standard Apple 1 with Woz Integer BASIC or Applesoft Lite (selected with jumper)
- Improved video with choice of NTSC or PAL (PAL mode not tested)
- Optional USB Power supply and cable, no need to search for a compatible power supply
Look for a review of the new Replica 1 10th Anniversary Edition in the next issue of Juiced.GS later this year!