We are excited to introduce Nox Archaist, a new role playing game we are developing exclusively for the Apple II platform and emulators. Currently we are targeting a release date sometime this year. Nox Archaist will be available 100% free and the complete assembly source code will be posted on our blog as development progresses.
Nox Archaist is a 2D tile based fantasy RPG with a classic Apple II look and feel. We are taking advantage of the full 128k available on the IIe and later models which will help us create features and effects that may not have been seen in vintage 1980s Apple games. Game play videos and screenshots showing the current evolution of the Nox Archaist game engine are available below.
Please send us your comments and suggestions! We would like to include many community sourced ideas into the game.
http://www.6502workshop.com – Nox Archaist website with our blog, current gameplay video, screenshots, and gifs.
6502 Workshop Mission:
- Develop a fun game CRPG enthusiasts will enjoy playing
- Include ideas and feature sourced from the Apple II community when possible
- Explore a modern evolution of the Apple II RPG genre
- Create a repository of hard to find technical information on developing Apple II games
- Determine how many two layer shrubberies with a path down the middle will fit on the Apple II hi-res screen
Nox Archaist Technical Details:
- Runs on any 128k Apple IIe or later system
- Physical machines and modern emulators are supported
- Current game testing is being done on a physical Apple IIe and in AppleWin
- Coded entirely in 6502 Assembler, no construction sets used